Lake Sandoval 1 Day
This tour starts very early at 5:00 am from the Puerto Maldonado city we navigate in a motorized boat 40 minutes down the river. Then start the 3-kilometer walk in the Tambopata National Reserve until you reach the famous Sandoval Lake. We explore Sandoval Lake in canoes to see monkeys, birds, caimans, giant otter among others. Our return is by the same route that we enter until puerto Maldonado city where our tour ends.
Daily departures from Puerto Maldonado, to the most spectacular lake in the southern Peruvian jungle.
Lake Sandoval is the best option to view wildlife compared to any similar trip,
We start early from the city of Puerto Maldonado, the recommended time is 5
Am or earlier to enjoy the best time on the lake when there is more activity
Wildlife and avoid the intense heat of noon.
Departures from Puerto Maldonado by motor boat and breakfast will be at the local family hostel that is inside the reserve.
To reach Lake Sandoval we must walk 2.5 km from the Madre de Dios River the entrance road is 40 minutes downstream from the city of Puerto Maldonado, on the way to the lake we have the possibility to see monkeys, birds and macaws Half way there is a section of the trail where macaws gather to eat palm bark, apparently rich in minerals like sodium. That place is known as a wooden log.
Once we reach the end of the trail we have a rowboat, to go around the lake in search of the giant otter. A lot of hoatzin can be seen there (beautiful birds with an impressive crest and prehistoric looking)
We will arrive at the local family house Sandoval
A short break and enjoy the hammocks and then go hiking in the woods
Return to the local family house Sandoval for a delicious lunch.
Siesta on the hammocks.
In the afternoon departure back to the city and once again to enjoy the lake, with more possibilities to see monkeys and giant otters. We slowly paddle back to the main path and then return to our boat for the return trip to the city.
- A professional naturalist guide (ENGLISH OR SPANISH).
- Transport by boat.
- Ground transportation of private vehicles.
- Entrance to the Sandoval Lake Reserve.
- A professional cook.
- Meals: 1x breakfast, 1x lunch, 1 dinner and drinking water (Please note: vegetarian option on request at no
- extra cost!).
- Accommodation: 1 night in lodges.
- First aid kit, including a poison extractor, mosquito bite treatment and
- an antidote to a snake bite;
- Radio communications.
- Rubber boots (rainy season).
- Any flight or departure taxes from the airport;
- Travel insurance.
- Breakfast on the first day and dinner on the last day.
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Advice for local staff.
- Original passport.
- Small backpack.
- Long sleeve cotton shirts (preferably green).
- Long cotton trousers.
- Long cotton socks (to be put on your pants).
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sandals or light shoes.
- Rain gear (for example, rain poncho).
- Sweater (for the start of the tour in the Andes and the cloud forest only),
- Camera and its charger.
- Plastic bags for clothes and a camera.
- A hat as protection against the sun or rain,
- Small towel,
- Toilet paper,
- Flashlight (with spare bulb and batteries).
- One bottle of water (1 liter minimum).
- Pocket money (Suns) to buy some drinks and souvenirs, as well as tip.
- Personal Medications.
[wp_cart_button name=”Short” price=”400.00″]